22 February 2008

Black Bean Soup

After a very chilly day today, I'm stirring up this soup for dinner. It's a favorite I haven't made in ages, and Friday nights call for super simple cooking (if any at all) around our house.

Black Bean Soup
from Real Simple
1 cup jarred tomato salsa
2 15 1/2-oz cans black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups chicken broth
sour cream, salsa, cilantro for garnish

Heat the salsa in a large saucepan over medium heat, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes. Stir in the beans and broth, then heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 15 minutes. Cool slightly, then spoon half the soup into a food processor or blender and puree. Return the pureed soup to the saucepan and heat through. Serve with sour cream, salsa, chips, etc. Makes 4 generous servings.

*UPDATE*
Jake, at dinner: Mom, what is this called?
Me: Black Bean Soup
Jake: I want to eat this for the rest of my life!

3 comments:

Joanne said...

I'm definitely going to try this - I've always been a big fan of black beans, and this sounds really good and easy to make (plus, it sounds like it has Jake's approval, which must mean something).

Thanks for the recipe!

The Manwarings said...

I'm so glad you posted this recipe. Your mom told me about it a while ago and I've been trying to remember how she told me to make it. Looks yummy. Thanks for letting me stalk your blog.
Amber

Trent and Dianne Rencher said...

Hey Jen, muchos gracious for this mueo bueno recipe, it is sooooo good, you actually gave it to me years ago, it's d'best! And speaking of super woman, I think you should wear the red cape to the bus stop just to surprise Jacob one of these days!!! Wouldn't we love to see the look on his face! Love your blog...on to another great year!
Love Dianne