24 December 2010

I've noticed...

that it doesn't take much to make me fall more in love with my children.

Evidence No. 1: Star Fruit.

We were buying limes a few days ago when Jake spotted a nearby basket of star fruit for sale. We picked one up for 88 cents, and you would have thought we won the lottery! He was bursting with excitement over the anticipation of trying this brand new fruit, "one of the rarest plants in the world," he said. We did some research before eating it to find that it comes from Thailand. The taste was somewhere between celery and kiwi--a little tart, so I could tell he was trying to like it. But we LOVED slicing it into the perfect stars, so fitting for Christmas. Jacob's enthusiasm for all things nature deepens my appreciation, too.

Evidence No. 2: Snow Preservation

Snow is a rarity here, so last weekend when big flakes started falling, Audrey swiftly scooped up this tower of snow, and put it proudly into the freezer (where it will probably stay for months). She got the idea from a Dr. Suess book. Now if I could only freeze her little bright, innocent, snuggly-sweet 4-year old self as she is today! She's on the cusp of turning the Big 5; and while I look forward to her growth, I'll cherish her window of little-girlhood for as long as I can.

No comments: