09 May 2009

Rocket Launch


A few weeks ago Jake came home from school asking if we could have a rocket launch at our house. I gave him one of those non-answers, thinking he would soon forget about it.


But he kept asking, and one day came off the bus saying, "Is it okay if 28 people come over for the rocket launch?" Then he pulled out a little hand-written invitation all ready to be copied that said this:


Dear ____________

I am doing a rocket launch.

We’re launching rockets in my front yard.

It’s going to be Saturday, May 9 at 3pm.

Please come. If you have safety goggles, bring them.

Love,

Jacob


So to make a long story short, today was the big day. We weren't prepared with actual rockets, and we had no idea if anyone would actually show up. But it turned into a party!


We experimented with a few types of homemade rocket-ish projects requiring a little imagination, and concluded with our favorite show-stopper: the mentos in the diet cola. Then for good measure, we filled the kids up with lemonade, popsicles, and popcorn balls. They loved it.


Who knows--maybe we'll try real rockets someday.



4 comments:

K-Flex said...

you always have the best ideas!!

Greta said...

I wish I had known. I have a closet of rocket making materials. We would shoot them off almost every Sunday with Tom's brothers and parents in UT. (You need a good open field though)

Marliese said...

Jake is quite the social instigator. Sounds like a rockin block party. You are such a fun family!

Joanne said...

That is so cute! I love the ideas he comes up with.