08 January 2009

A Conversation to Remember

image from flickr
My 1st grader came home with some news yesterday. He was unloading his backpack when he flashed me a shy grin.

"Mom, I think I got a girlfriend," he said.
Surprised, but trying to play it cool I asked, "Oh really? Who?"

"'Becca' gave me her phone number, but I lost it."

The conversation was getting more interesting by the second.

"She wanted to sit by me in the library," he explained.

And then he got really excited: "She got a bug book! Can you believe it, Mom? A girl picked a book about bugs!!"

At this point I was running to find a sticky note to catch it all word-for-word, so the conversation pretty much ended.

But I'm thinking the bug book sealed the deal. I mean, really.
What more could you ask?

6 comments:

Amberly said...

That is so adorable. And I love that you didn't launch into the "you are too young for a girlfriend" lecture right away like I would have. Then as soon as it was out of my mouth I would have reget the words. And seriously, a bug book - a match made in heaven I say.

Julie Peterson said...

That is the best!

Alison B said...

that is adorable. very cute story.

Rach said...

That is one cool chick. A book about bugs! I love it!

San Diego Spendloves said...

Very cute. I love kid "romances."

Joanne said...

Wow - I'm impressed with how calm you stayed. I love how he loves that she got a bug book! He's got his priorities straight.