20 May 2008

Garden, Part 1

Don't be fooled. At first glance this may appear to be a bunch of dirt in a box. Actually it is our beautiful mix of hand-blended Vermiculite, Peat Moss, Mushroom Compost, Cow Compost, and Hen Compost. Now you know. We bought the bags last night for our Family Night activity, and then after the kids were in bed, Jeremy dumped it all together on a tarp and mixed it up with the shovel like a giant batch of brownie mix.

This is a big moment for us, this second step toward creating our Square Foot Garden. I've been dreaming of planting vegetables of my own since I don't know when. So here goes. We have friends and neighbors using this method and we've been reading the how-to book. The concept is great. Instead of huge row-gardens, you build a box, fill it with the special mix, divide it into square feet, and plant your seeds. It ends up looking something like this:

I'm so excited. I have a feeling there will be many more garden pictures to come.

p.s. If you're interested in the process, this blog outlines the details.

8 comments:

gretchen said...

I love it. Good luck with your garden. I hope it produces many yummy veggies for your family:)

Heidi said...

i love it too! i am so ansy to get out of an apartment so i can dig up our own land. ;) that's a pretty awesome concept and i'm excited to see how everything turns out... i especially like the climbing vines. :)

Joanne said...

Oh, I'm so jealous! I really want a garden. My mom has done Square Foot Gardening since I was a kid - I still remember when she got the book and she was all excited about it. She always has a really great garden.

Anyway, I've always thought that when I do eventually start a garden, I want to go get that book.

Charity said...

I'm jealouse too! I bought the book and want to do it. The only problem...no sun anywhere in my yard! I planted some tomatoes, bell pepers, and zucchini in pots on my back porch. Looks like that's it for us this year. Good luck!

Aric and Sally said...

Impressive! We'll watch for that zucchini bread in the mail.

Kimberly said...

So proud of you and your garden and all of your technical dirt terms. We grow nothing here and I don't think we ever will, but kudos to you! Miss you all!

Jesse said...

Wow! My dad planted square foot gardens while we were growing up. What a great idea. Good job!

Livingstone Family said...

I can't wait to see Garden, Part 2! AND, are you coming in August? AND, I just wanted you to know that So You Think You Can Dance just started last week and I'm going to be faithful this summer, only because I remember how much you loved it last year!