05 March 2009

Going Greenish

Don't worry. We're not going green in the leave-no-carbon-footprint kind of way. We've been drinking green smoothies around here. And they're good! My friend tipped me off to the idea a while ago, and now I'm going crazy over them. March happens to be National Nutrition Month, so here's my recommendation: make (and drink) green smoothies!

Here's how I've been making them every afternoon:1. Put around 1 cup cold water and 3/4 cup orange juice in your blender.
2. Add one carrot and three big handfuls of dark green leafy vegetables: spinach, kale, collard greens.
3. Blend.
4. Add a fresh or frozen banana and a few handfuls of frozen berries.
5. Add a dash of cinnamon, 1/4 cup wheat germ, and some flax seeds.
6. Blend all together and drink up!I had to pretend the color wasn't green when I drank my first one. But I'm over it. It's yummy enough that the kids like it, too--so I'm sold.

Happy Blending!

8 comments:

Livingstone Family said...

Wow! That's definately a "I'll believe it's good when I taste it" kind of treat. Doesn't look amazingly appetizing, but ... if the kids will drink it, it can't be that bad! Maybe I'll try it!

Angela said...

I am completely inspired! I'm going to the grocery store today, thanks for the great idea:)

Marliese said...

Can't wait to try. Sounds like a perfect St. Patrick's Day treat. Yum, thanks for sharing!

gretchen said...

Thanks for sharing. I'll have to give it a try. How did you get your kids to try it?

Barry and Camille said...

AWESOME article on green smoothies, Jennie! I drink one of those every morning on my way to work.I'd like to quote a hero of mine, Popeye, when he said: "There is nothing with more nutritional value than a well mixed spinach smoothie."

Thomas Family said...

I've been doing this lately too! It's totally yummy, huh? Love it!

Joanne said...

Hooray for green smoothies!

My kids have started to say that all our fruit smoothies taste like spinach smoothies (even when there is only fruit in them) and I tell them it's the other way around - the spinach smoothies just taste like fruit smoothies.

Also, I wanted to tell you - my sisters and I started a very informal/unprofessional food blog - we wanted a quick way of sharing our recipes that we use with each other. You are welcome to check it out for more ideas - some of the recipes are the same as ones I've already sent you.

I don't know how to post a link in the comment, but the website is www.greenereating.blogspot.com.

Trent and Dianne Rencher said...

Is it better than Cherry Coke Zero?