My friend "name-tagged" me with the job of explaining how we came up with the names for our kids. She and I were expecting our first babies at the same time in Layton. To readers who don't have time for a long story, I'll tell you this: each of our children spent a few days at home as "???".
Now for the rest of you...
Our Jacob Todd originally left the hospital as William Jacob. Once at home, we scratched that plan and came up with two new options: Jacob Todd or Isaac Something (can't even remember). We called each of his four grandparents for their vote, and Jacob it was! I actually loved the name for years before it became too popular for us to even consider--that is, until he was born.
Audrey Claire came home nameless. We had the weekend to decide (Monday morning I had to call the Social Security office). We had it narrowed to either Claire or Audrey. Sunday night we made the decision. Claire. As soon as we woke up, we knew we were mistaken. Thus became Audrey.
I know. We're quite a pair. So we have decided for good to never do that again. Unless, you know, we just can't decide.
3 comments:
How funny - I would panic if I didn't have a name chosen before the baby was born. In fact, I'm kind of panicking now because we don't have a name for our little guy yet, and I'm only 6 months along.
You ended up choosing good ones, though, so you must be doing something right.
When I was pregnant with Ryan we were sure he was a girl and his name would be Anna. We were so sure we didn't have a boy named picked out. When he was born we had to scramble to come up with a name we didn't both hate. I know, low standards but it was the best we could do. He was nameless for three days in the hospital and then we let him choose. We read our list of names and told him to wiggle when he heard the name he liked and he wiggled when we said Ryan so that was it.
Now that brings back memories! They are beautiful names even if they came at the last minute.
Post a Comment